Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Confession

Someone made a comment on my previous post about Darklight, correcting an error I made concerning the last name of an actor, John Delancie. I've changed the last name (I'd put Lassiter 'cause...well, it sounded right at the time), but I do have a confession to make.

I may totally lose geek points on this, given my love for horror and sci-fi movies and shows, but...
I don't like Star Trek, Generation. I don't like particularly like Deep Space Nine or Enterprise or any of the shows set in the Star Trek Universe.

I like OLD Star Trek. Classic Trek. William Shatner, with his ever-shifting weight, horn-dog mentality, and inprobable pauses Star Trek. And that's it.


Oh, I make exceptions for particular episodes. The Trouble With Tribbles revisited episode on...er...whichever show it was, was funny as hell. It had the spirit of Classic Trek. Or the Degeneration episode that had the Enterprise in an alternate universe where Tasha Yar didn't get killed by the gelatinous blob, and Captain Picard actually made some ballsy decisions that may just have violated the Prime Directive and DIDN'T involve the fucking holodeck.

Yes. I'm a purist. And proud of it.

Nyah, Jen!


Also...please ignore the sentence in my previous post
(she has no memory behind three years previous) as it's a very poorly constructed sentence. I was tired...the sun was in my eyes...my cat ate my homework...and then spat it back up in a hairball on my computer.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!

16 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    That would be Deep Space Nine that revisted "The Trouble with Tribbles." Didja hear about the Alaska couple who named their kid -- I shit you not -- James Tiberious Kirk? They tacked their own last name after "Kirk", but that's a child who is going to grow up with a lot of playground fist fights in his future, y'know? :)

     
  • At 1:49 AM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    I too am a classic TREK purist.

    Which might explain why my newest TV indulgence is BOSTON LEGAL...

    Denny Crain.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Redzilla said…

    As long as it's confession time, I not only don't like any of the new Treks, I don't even like the OLD Star Trek, except in a lame MST3K way. I mean, the effects are ludicrous, the plots full of holes, and to call that acting?

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Here's a question -- since I'm a new reader of your blog, what television series DO you like? (Sci-fi and otherwise?)

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    Oh, Red, how can you not appreciate the utter fabulousness, not to mention spot-on cultural archetypes, of classic TREK? It is brilliant, and also hilarious. Shatner parodies 60's American macho manhood in a way that is unsurpassed...

     
  • At 12:04 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    What series do I like? Simpsons, Buffy, Southpark, Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Sharpe, Stroker and Hoop, Moral Oral, what I've seen of battlestar Galactica...um...i know there are more...but I'll have to think on it. I don't watch a lot of series TV - I have most of the stuff I like on DVD - oh...yeah...guilty pleasures: Survivor and Charmed. I liked first season of Lost. And...I'll keep thinking.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Some of those I haven't heard of! TV on DVD is great, isn't it? I'd imagine Firefly is on your list? If you haven't seen it, you should -- let me also recommend Veronica Mars.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    I didn't mention FIREFLY?!!! Augh, I LOVE that show! It's way at the top. Own the DVD set and SERENITY.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Nyah?? Nyah, huh?!

    You know what, it's ok. I can forgive you for being wrong although there was one comment about Cpt. Picard that cannot be taken back. But you know, if you prefer a horny, bad-acting, shoot first kind of guy over (an excellent actor) a more philosophical captain who doesn't see everything in black and white, well that's your right.

    TNG! TNG! TNG!

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said…

    One reason Star Trek is so cool is its positive humanistic view of the future. There's no longer any hunger, poverty, racism, or religion.

    "Gods" are only believed in by primitive (pre-space travel) humanoid species.

    We need more atheist writers like Gene Roddenberry!

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Ah, Abyss...yes, I totally prefer a dynamic action oriented guy who is a damn FINE actor underneath the ham to a pompous dude who's too busy playing Sherlock Holmes to get anything done.

    ZAP!!!!

    FT, you don't believe in Adonis? :-) One of my favorite old Star Treks...

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    I tend to think that people who prefer Kirk over Picard also prefered Bush over Gore.

    Oh geeze.

    Too far? Yeah, I think I might have gone too far. Apt but harsh.

    ZAP!!!

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Bush wouldn't have the balls to do a green-skinned woman. And I bet Al likes Classic Trek better than Degen. Hell, I bet Bush doesn't watch either of 'em!

    You were just going for the cheap shot, little miss. Now go spend some time in the holodeck with Data and maybe you won't be such a meanie.

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Spend some time in the holodeck with Data?

    Gladly!

    Is that supposed to be some sort of punishment?

    By the way, sure Bush would have done a green skinned woman, he's probably doing one right now. =)

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Yes, but would he go bare-chested and yell "I. AM. KIR-ROCK!" I don't THINK so.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    P.S. My mom says that it's much more applicable to think of Kirk as Clinton. A very good point, mumsy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet