Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pet Peeve of the Day

You probably all know I'm a zombie junkie. I pretty much mainline any form of entertainment that includes the flesh-eating variety of the living dead. Dana, she do love her carnivorous reanimated corpses, mmm hmmmm.

But what irritates the crap out of me is when writers and filmmakers think they're being oh so clever and original by naming characters and places after other horror or zombie genre authors and filmmakers. Every time I run across a 'General Romero', 'Captain Fulci' or grunt named Schow, O'Bannon or Savini, it takes me right out of the story. I wanna slap the author and say, 'no, you AREN'T oh so clever 'cause everyone else is paying the same friggin' homage to the same people and it's just way too self-conscious and precious . We get that you all love and admire these filmmakers and authors. I do too. But it's been done. And overdone. And if I ever name a character that isn't a dog or a cat after one of these guys, all of you authors I'm talking to here have permission to smack me a good one.

Fulci would actually make a great name for a black cat, doncha think?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 2:27 AM, Blogger The Ferryman said…

    How ironic would it be if once you died you actually became a zombie?

    There would be no learning curve for you!

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is the most posting you've done in quite a while. You should go on vacation more often!
    --Peggy

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Mr. Fab, how do you KNOW there wouldn't be a learning curve? I'd have to learn how to bring down prey and all that. And what parts of the human body tasted best. Or, if indeed, zombies have any preference.

    Oh, Peggy, I so agree... I'm gonna try and stick to it when I'm back home and working, though. It's helping me get back into my writing and I have two books I've started.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet