Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another Loss




It seems the only thing I’ve had to write about the last couple of weeks has been related to death and grief. Which is why I haven’t written much because who needs to read about sad things all the time? Unfortunately I received word today of another huge loss – that of Lana, one of our beautiful Amur leopards at EFBC/FCC. Lana was only 7 years old and due to be introduced to Sevastian, a young male Amur leopard. Having lost her tail when she was a baby (her birth mother was not particularly maternal), Lana would have been a dream date for a young and inexperienced male leopard; they never know what to do with the tail the first few times they have sex.

Lana’s death will leave a hole in the hearts of everyone at EBFC. She was hand-raised there and was a loving, sweet-natured little leopard.

(Special thanks to Nancy Vandermey for her photography of not just Lana, but all of EFBC’s feline residents. Nancy's consistant photographic journal of the lives of these animals is not only a legacy to EFBC, but a gift and a comfort to those of us who can't be there as often as we once were or would like to be now. )

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    Oh, that's so sad. What a beauty she was. I have such tremendous respect for EFBC and the amazing work they do to help preserve these wonderful felines.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    I agree...Sandy (she's the defacto momma cat when the babies need to be handraised) amazes me, as does Joe and the keepers and volunteers. It's gotta be so hard for Sandy to lose her babies like this. The hours she puts in and the love...

    This just makes me so sad...

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey Dana

    this is not so much a comment on losing a pretty kitty, but a hello from a voice from your distant past. I've spent the last couple days catching up on your blog since i saw your name on classmates.com. funny but our lives have quite a few similarities since you backed out of my wedding in 83. not holding any grudges, in fact i should have taken the hint and followed you. might have saved myself 20 years of misery. (well, the first few were ok, and I did get a couple of great kids out of it, but no one should have to put aside their life for someone else, you know?) Anyway, I'm on my own now, still in SD, rebuilding - sometimes sad, often lonely, but finding my way. Getting back into the community theater scene...theater people are such an interesting breed...never found another group of people who understand me like they do! It would be great to see you next time you are around town, or gmail me and we can catch up. Pam

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    ok, previous comment didn't leave my gmail address like I thought it would, it used my real name instead. so, anyway try me at livinlavidaloha@gmail.com

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Redzilla said…

    I'm so glad I got around to coming to see this post, because those baby pictures are just too adorable. Sad for her to be gone, but nice to have the memories.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet