Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Itchy Feet

It's Friday, it's nearing the time that I'm gonna blow this popsicle stand, go home, and get ready for the weekend. I'm already out the door in my mind. Sometimes it just works that way. Other times I can happily stay at work several hours past quitting time. Today is definitely one of those 'I'm OUTTA here' days. It's been a good day at work; I'm just ready to have a good late afternoon/evening at home.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading the weekend's activities. The dreading part would be a six hour drive through the barren Central Valley to Rosamond, which is out near Edwards Airforce Base in the desert. Drive a few more miles East and you hit the Mojave. This is where my beloved EFBC/FCC is located. Tomorrow night is the Fabulous Feline Follies, one of their yearly fundraisers, and I am once again emceeing the event, with the assistance of Dave as co-emcee. Brian will hopefully make his appearance at the last Twilight Tour in September - he have a fan base from previous years fundraisers who expect to see him for at least one of the events.

I'm looking forward to the actual event - I've missed all of the cats out there dreadfully. Caesar, Meesha, Annie, Cisco, Isaac, Angara...the list goes on. Check out the website, btw, for a lot of gorgeous exotic feline photos. And if you live in the Los Angeles area (or are planning a visit), make sure to take the time to go out there. Entrance fees are only $3.00 per adult and $1.50 for kids between 3-18. The toddlers are free. You will never see such gorgeous animals, most of them highly endangered, in such a pleasant environment from such a close distance. 3 feet away in most cases.

I'm NOT looking forward to the drive there. As I've bemoaned in past posts, the Central Valley is a long, flat stretch of farmland, rest areas and truck stops. It's hellish hot in the summer, dusty, and dry. If you don't have wiper fluid, you're doomed 'cause your windshield will collect dozens of splatted insects during the drive. Shades of green found in nature, but you wish you hadn't found 'em...

I am looking forward to hanging out at my sister's afterward. We'll no doubt have some very good red wine, possibly watch old Star Trek, and I'll undoubtedly fall asleep on the couch in the middle of everything. It's one of my super powers.

The drive home? Well it'll be long, but since we're planning on going up the coast instead of through the valley, it should be pleasant. The route up the 1 though Malibu to Ventura is a gorgeous drive and stress-free, provided you hit it before beach traffic begins. So I'm NOT looking forward to getting up early Sunday morning. But it'll be worth it. Breakfast at Jack's Famous Bagels in Carpinteria, a stop at a winery or two in Paso Robles...Sweet! And hopefully home in time to relax for a few hours before bedtime and the new work week starts.

So...until next week!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooooooooooh I'm too far away though I do LOVE my moggies I guess I'll have to be content with them - or maybe I could make them over.. recon that would work? xxx

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    Star Trek Animated Series on DVD in November! WOOHOOOOOAAAAH!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    I'm gonna assume that a moggie is a kitty, right, Moo?

    MS...this is exciting, but I'm wondering how you got that out of my post! You crack me up, boyo...

    And Mr. Fab, trust you to fixate on something like that...ya nut!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet