Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sunday

I'm taking advantage of the fact that my 'net connection at home is currently up and running to write a quick post. Of course, given the way my computer luck runs, the minute I finish writing, the connection will go all wonky again. Then I'll get cranky (which sort of rhymes with cranky), get in a snit and read my Janet Evanovich book. So there.

I bought a USB wireless access thingee called a Zonet a couple weeks back and have spent two days trying to get the little bugger to work. No reason it shouldn't; I have the proper software upgrade on my iBook, which told me the installation was successful. But when I click on 'Network' to do the final steps to initialize the little bugger, the thing I'm supposed to click on (Ethernet adapter EN1), which is below 'internal modem' and 'built-in ethernet', won't let me check the little box next to it. It's there, but I can't access it. I can click on the other two options, mind you. Just not the one I need.

Why? WHY?!!

I don't want to send Zonet back to Tiger Direct, the online company from which I purchased it. And I don't want to take my iBook to the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store 'cause I can't bring myself to pay $50 right now. See, Dave lost his job (the NYC office changed the position to something that is not his area of expertise), so 50 bucks to find out I'm an idiot and am probably missing something really obvious is just not in the cards right now.

Stupid NYC office. Stupid Zonet!

On the upside, it's really gorgeous here in San Francisco right now. Sunny, with a cool breeze, not too hot, not too cold, not humid, not dry. Kinda perfect. I've spent a great deal of the weekend outside on the beach with Boska. Yesterday she tried to eat four dead birds, stole bait from a local fisherman and trashed a sandcastle. Nothing to take away the appetite like the sight of one's dog carrying a rotting seagull wing in her mouth. She got a bath yesterday afternoon and I tried to rinse her mouth out too. And yet, she still loves me.

Oops! Jen is here. We're having scones, clotted cream and jam, tea and watching Jane Austen movies.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If there was any documentation with the Zonet, there may be a support number you can call. When I bought a DLink router, I couldn't get it to work either. Called their number and they walked me through it.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Check Zonet's website (http://www.zonetusa.com/contact.asp) for a number, plus a technical support email address.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    anonomous wrote:When I bought a DLink router, I couldn't get it to work either. Called their number and they walked me through it.

    I wish everyone thought that way, instead of calling their internet service provider first. If I could count the number of times I had to tell a caller- "No we don't support that." When I was working tech support for an SBC (now called AT&T) subcontractor.. if I could count the number of times.. well I could probably also do calculus.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet