Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Weird Encounter

I went to the ladies room today and found a pink sweater hanging on the hook in the big stall. I figured someone had forgotten it and would come back for it. When I went back an hour or so later, it was still there. There aren't a lot of women on our floor (there's only three companies in total on the floor) so I thought I'd take it around and see if I could reunite the sweater with its owner.

I went into the first one. I'd met D, the office manager twice, both times in the ladies room. She'd recently replaced my friend, G, but I didn't hold it against her. She seemed nice enough. The second time she'd been doing her hair with a curling iron, which didn't seem weird. What did seem kind of strange, though, was that the curling iron was still in the ladies room a few hours later sans its owner. I've forgotten things in bathrooms before, though, so I didn't think too much of it. It did occur to me, however, that she was a likely candidate as the sweater's owner.

So...I go into her office, smile, and said, 'Hi, I found this in the bathroom and was wondering if it was yours."

She stares at me blankly, no smile. "Yes."

Uncomfortable pause.

Well, this was kind of weird. Maybe further explanation would help.

"Um...well, l thought maybe someone had lost or forgotten it, so I thought I'd check around and see."

"No. It's mine. I spilled something on it." Silence. Still no smile. I felt like I'd farted in her airlock.

"Ah. Well...like I said, I figured maybe someone had forgotten it or..."

"No. You know me."

Um, no, I really don't.

And here comes the kicker. She looks at me a bit impatiently and says, "Is it dry?" The whole subtext being if it's not, I should go hang it back up and mind my own business.

"Um...I guess so. I didn't notice it was wet in the first place." I hold out her sweater, which she takes without a word. By this time, the awkward factor has shot through the roof and I just want to get out of there. "Uh...okay, bye!"

"Bye." And right before the door shuts, as a definitely insincere afterthought, "Thanks."

Okay, is it just me or was this not only a weird exchange, but a rude one as well? And granted there are only a few of us on the floor here, but it seems pretty inappropriate for her to be treating the ladies room as if it's her own. There's no space in her office to hang up her sweater to dry? She's either very trusting, very self-centered, or both.

Whatever. Next time I see something lying around in the bathroom, I'll leave it there. After dipping it in the toilet first.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger CP said…

    You're nicer than I am.

    I would have peed on it first.

    CP.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the peeing on it suggestion. That's a good idea. (or peeing in the toilet first then dipping in said object). Especially since it's your boss and you can't tell her the company bathroom isn't her personal toilet.

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger David Fitzgerald said…

    Yeah, I'm with Mr. Fab on this one...

    But you're right, she does sound like a total piece of work.
    xo
    -D

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is this person your boss?? I got the impression she was with a different company. Anyhow, i'd be on the lookout for bathrobe, toothbrush, shower cap---

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    She is not my boss, not in the same company. Good thing or I'd make her life a living hell.

    I'm good at peeing on things. Er...let me qualify that. I'll have to blog about Grad Night and peeing on the bus when the bus driver wouldn't stop on the two hour drive...

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    And Dave and Mr. Fab...it's NOT always about lesbians, y'know! You just WISH it was.

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So I come by to check in on your blog & find a comment about peeing - hmmm...

    Yeah, I remember grad night - the pee trails on your nylons kinda worked though - looked a bit like seamed stockings.

    (BTW what's your email? I'd love to catch up & I'll be in S.D. in a couple of weeks if you're around)

     
  • At 7:45 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Hey, Karen,

    Of course they looked like seamed stockings - that whole noir thing and all.

    email is zhadi@aol.com - I'm in San Francisco now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet