Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

One of the things I like about my co-workers

They assume I know what they're talking about even when I don't necessarily have a clue.

Yup, in a world of condescending jerks, I work with people who assume I'm smart instead of assuming I'm stupid.

Mind you, sometimes I really have no clue what they're talking about because, while I do have a high IQ (142 or something along those lines), my background does not include much of a scientific nature. Nor do I understand the ins and outs of venture capital. But I'm learning, largely because when I ask questions, they take the time to sit down and answer them thoughtfully and in language I can understand. They give me reading material (kind of like VC or Science for Dummies). They ask me my opinion on things that I didn't necessarily think I had any valid opinions to offer. But surprisingly, I now find that I do.

I find I'm stretching my brain in ways that I haven't in a long time. I'm great at studying things that interest me (zombies, swordfighting, etc.), but now I'm becoming interested in subjects that I disdained in school.

There's something about the assumption that I'm intelligent enough to get these things that makes me want to prove that this assumption is correct.

Very sneaky.

I really love my job.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    This has nothing to do with your post, but I found your MySpace page and added you as a friend.

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    Way cool! It's so hard to find a good job. This one sounds golden. And take the opportunity to learn. You never know what might happen in the future, and knowledge/skills are your best guarantee of success.

    What I find frightening about my job at times is that I am considered an authority and an intellectual. Of course, consider my business.

    No names, please...

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Hey, MS, I saw that and hit 'accept!'

    OL, yup, I feel very lucky. The only thing I don't like about my job is getting up in the morning, especially when it's still dark out. And I wish I had more down time to write at home and exercise. But amazingly I don't resent the time I'm at work. So very weird.

    Compared to most of the people in the industry in which you work, you ARE an intellectual. Probably an uber-intellectual...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet