Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

One of the things I like about my co-workers

They assume I know what they're talking about even when I don't necessarily have a clue.

Yup, in a world of condescending jerks, I work with people who assume I'm smart instead of assuming I'm stupid.

Mind you, sometimes I really have no clue what they're talking about because, while I do have a high IQ (142 or something along those lines), my background does not include much of a scientific nature. Nor do I understand the ins and outs of venture capital. But I'm learning, largely because when I ask questions, they take the time to sit down and answer them thoughtfully and in language I can understand. They give me reading material (kind of like VC or Science for Dummies). They ask me my opinion on things that I didn't necessarily think I had any valid opinions to offer. But surprisingly, I now find that I do.

I find I'm stretching my brain in ways that I haven't in a long time. I'm great at studying things that interest me (zombies, swordfighting, etc.), but now I'm becoming interested in subjects that I disdained in school.

There's something about the assumption that I'm intelligent enough to get these things that makes me want to prove that this assumption is correct.

Very sneaky.

I really love my job.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    This has nothing to do with your post, but I found your MySpace page and added you as a friend.

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    Way cool! It's so hard to find a good job. This one sounds golden. And take the opportunity to learn. You never know what might happen in the future, and knowledge/skills are your best guarantee of success.

    What I find frightening about my job at times is that I am considered an authority and an intellectual. Of course, consider my business.

    No names, please...

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger zhadi said…

    Hey, MS, I saw that and hit 'accept!'

    OL, yup, I feel very lucky. The only thing I don't like about my job is getting up in the morning, especially when it's still dark out. And I wish I had more down time to write at home and exercise. But amazingly I don't resent the time I'm at work. So very weird.

    Compared to most of the people in the industry in which you work, you ARE an intellectual. Probably an uber-intellectual...

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said…

    Hey, how come you are not MY MySpace friend? Or are you already? I can't remember...

    I am not surprised that you would have an apptitude for that, or anything that you put your mind to.

    However, no matter how much you master quantum physics or venture capitalism, it is always the zombies and sword fighting that will impress me most :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet