Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Gene Kelly's legs, Part Two

After I wrote my post yesterday, the movie stopped RIGHT before the pirate ballet, my favorite scene in THE PIRATE. Gene Kelly in shorts in a pirate fantasy...grrrrowf!

I was not happy.

Okay, considering that I was in the midst of evil cramps and hormonal fluctuations, I was PISSED AS HELL.

But it was time to go (dinner and poker night at Rick & Jen's, plus we did watch the rest of the pilot for BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - two thumbs up!), so I didn't have time to futz with the DVD and figure out if it was dirt on the disk or what.

Today, I'm happy to say, I figured out that there were two disks (this was a dub from a tape). Very cleverly did I figure this out. Something about the words 'Part One' on the DVD that clued me in...

So today I got to watch the pirate ballet and indulge in nostalgia (and lust for Gene Kelly's extremely well built thighs).

When our parents divorced, one of the things that made life seem okay were the nights when Mom, Lisa and I would make Appian Way boxed pizza, homemade fudge (the type that you have to test by dropping a little bit in cold water), have ice cold Coke, and watch an MGM musical. AMERICAN IN PARIS, GIGI, SINGING IN THE RAIN, SUMMER STOCK, THE PIRATE... Pizza, Coke and fudge. Comfort food. Special evenings when it didn't matter that Dad had left (this was an era when divorce was still something that happened to OTHER people's parents, not your own), leaving my sister and me angry, bewildered and confused, and my mom to deal with to pre-pubescent girls on her own.

Mom told us that our Aunt Joan used to refer to Gene Kelly as 'that stupid grinning Irishman.' I love my aunt, but gotta wonder what the heck her problem was with grinning Irishmen. Gene Kelly's smile, like his thighs, were -- and still are -- a great cure for whatever ails me. Including the melancholy that generally accompanies cramps.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    I think I was officially pubescent.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said…

    When do you start on BSG: The Series? You've gotta hurry -- you've got two seasnons to catch up on before the third season premiers October 6th! (And the second half of season 2 doesn't hit DVD until Sept. 19th!!!!!!!)

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    OL, what's the line between pre and official again? I was definitely pre...I saved the worst for Tucson!

    MS, I'm not in any hurry 'cause I can always watch the entire thing on DVD! Don't worry, I'll see it, I'll see it!

    MF, even us alien space critter types have parents! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet