Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Monday...

...but not a work day! Shweeet.....

I am so enjoying this four day weekend. With the exception of going to Rick and Jen's Saturday, the entire weekend has been spent within a four mile radius of the house (those beach walks) and I have no real agenda.

The weather in the mornings is misty and cool, which makes walking for a couple of hours a pleasure, especially when I stop for a nice hot cappuccino along the way. I've collected a ton of beach glass and shells, and have figured out how to do squats when I pick each piece up (I read somewhere that the one exercise that's supposed to be best for women is the squat), so my legs are getting one heck of a workout.

Boska's loving the beach walks. Her hearing is definitely not what it was, but aside from some momentious farts (no doubt from eating clandestine crab claws on the beach when I'm not looking), she's doing really well. And she probably doesn't mind the farts. The glucosomine seems to be helping with the arthritis; she proved several times this weekend that she can outrun me without even trying. Wearing two pound weights around each ankle doesn't help with my sprinting speed either. I'm giving her valerian for anxiety, melatonin to help her sleep patterns, and gingko biloba to help with...I believe the homeopathic canine care book said 'cognitive reasoning.' Or something like that.

I wish there was something for the farts, though. Stinky!

I started my new book last night. Officially started chapter one on the iBook. I'd scribbled four pages of rough notes for the opening, but it's not really a new project for me until I have the opening lines. My goal is to keep it relatively short and fast-paced. I have a bad habit of overwriting, trying to include everything, the kitchen sink and all the crap in the cupboard underneath in my books. And these days the attention span of either the publishing industry or the reading public is pretty much set on Koontz, Clancy, King and Steele. I feel guilty including King in that list, actually. Even his substandard books, the ones that feel like he wrote 'em while watching reality TV or sitcoms, are written with more care to attention to detail and description than most airport books. I should be able to phone in a writing job half as good.

Also did research for my new horror script. I have decided as much as I love tigers that I don't want to live in the Sundarbans of Bangladesh. Too many crocodiles. I'd rather get killed by a tiger than a crocodile. But only if I actually had to choose between one or the other.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Zhadi wrote: My goal is to keep it relatively short and fast-paced. I have a bad habit of overwriting, trying to include everything, the kitchen sink and all the crap in the cupboard underneath in my books.

    Short and faced paced is done with the plotting (which I still suck at), and revisions (aka editing).

    Overwriting, that's not a bad habit. When you are doing the first draft its supposed to be better to go overboard then to keep it spare. Its supposed to give you more to work with when you go back to edit that first draft.

    Simplified - Chunky is okay as long as you know you're going to go back and pare away a lot of the fat on the second go through.

    Of course what do I really know. All I can manage most days are interesting ideas.

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Don't knock interesting ideas. I sweat bullets to come up with those. And that hurts, sweating all those bullets!

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Hmph. I would have thought you'd have chosen Death by Lemur...

    Man, that's a great title...hmmm....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet