Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Migraines suck


Especially ones that KEEP COMING BACK. I have not been to be in the Blogger's Void, but I've spent the last...oh...two or three weeks in migraine hell. I really like this picture I found on Google Images 'cause it totally expresses how I feel, both mentally and physically.

How about emotionally, you ask? Well, Zomig (my migraine medication) is a depressant. If I have to take too many, I have what I call a Zomig hangover, which results in the aforementioned shades of gray outlook on life. And if you take too much of it, it can cause rebound headaches. Saturday I had to take four Zomig (three more than is typical for me to stop a headache) when what I'm pretty sure was a rebound headache woke me up at 5AM. Grrrrr...

I had some sort of 24 hour virus Sunday, which included all the lovely symptoms of the stomach flu, plus a godawful burning headache in the middle of my forehead AND a high fever. When that wore off, I was left with a one-sided migraine. Is this fair, I ask? I don't THINK so! Yesterday (Monday), I got by with half a migraine pill when the little bastard headache started to sneak back. Still more than I wanted to take. But still, better than downing four again. This morning I went to see my chiro and had my neck adjusted, plus 20 minutes of neck/face/head massage. Felt much better, although still very blah. Then...a half hour ago...yup, this little rat bastard came back again. AIEEEEEEE!!!!!

I have taken half a Zomig and am desperately hoping the headache goes away without a fight. To paraphrase my favorite quote from my favorite guilty pleasure testosterone laden flick PREDATOR, "I ain't got time for pain."

8 Comments:

  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Bummer, Zhadi. My boss at my old job started getting headaches. Her cure was to cut out caffeine entirely and take plenty of Potassium. They never came back. Unfortunately it meant no more chocolate.

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Oops, I meant to say she started getting Migraines.

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said…

    The solution may indeed be in the amount of caffeine you are getting. Are you addicted? If so, withdrawal may mean a few days of more headaches, but you may be "cured" after that!

    Dr. FreeThinker

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    I agree with Abyss - you're caffeine obssessed, Dr. FT!

    I actually went on a withdrawal diet, so to speak, to see what did and did not trigger my headaches. Caffeine has never been a problem (I'm a one to two cup a day person) nor has chocolate (thank goodness! salt, yes. I can only eat limited amounts of ham. MSG is not a happy thing for me either. Hormones and salt at the same time? BAD news. Stress? Also evil, especially when combined with the above.

    But my coffee...I can take it decaf or caf and I'm just fine.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Eat more bananas. More Potassium is worth a try and has worked for more than one person I know.

    Seriously FT, it's like you're a born-again Christian!
    Sorry, I know that was harsh, but I thought the shock value of that statement might shake you out of this caffeine obsession. It was worth a try.

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Well, we now know if FT is ever cranky, we can just slowly approach him with a bag of fresh Peet's coffee beans...

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    hormones and stress, definitely factors.

    my new solution to all life's ills...hang out on a beach in mexico. \i know, not always practical, but it's working for me...

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    *snort*. They used to say that about labor pains too, Mr. Fab...
    Silly tiger!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet