Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Long Weekend

I'm taking a day off tomorrow and driving up to Humboldt for the weekend - giving myself an extra day so I'm not burned out Monday morning. Y'know, like I was at the end of last weekend, what with the hell drive to L.A. and back in two days.

The drive to Humboldt is much prettier - the 101 Freeway snakes through vineyards and redwoods, past rivers and small towns. Some of the towns are kind of quaint and others are the perfect setting for a Hills Have Eyes type situation. There's also the option of going through Anderson Valley (wineries? I'm not interested in wineries!) and taking the 1 up through Fort Bragg, home to Glass Beach. I'm planning on the latter route, although I won't be doing any tasting at the Anderson Valley wineries.

Will I stop at Glass Beach?

Um...

Maybe.

Hey. I'm NOT addicted to beach glass. I can stop collecting it any time. Really.

I'm picking my dog up and bringing her back home. Boska (or Baska - Brian and I have never agreed on the spelling of her name) has been staying in Trinidad with Brian, but it's time for her to live with Mommy again. She's showing signs of senility, so I've been reading up on homeopathic treatments for dogs and have a battle plan of herbs and supplements ready to go. Luckily Boska takes pills without complaint, provided I bury them in a ball of wet dog food. I hope they work 'cause otherwise I look forward to nights of interrupted sleep as she paces, whines and tries to get on the bed. I can't put her in the garage to sleep any more (and yes, I have a big comfy doggy bed for her out there) 'cause she scrabbles relentlessly at the door and howls mournfully. Her hearing isn't as good as it used to be...either that, or she's decided that obeying commands is for suckers. Maybe a little from Column A, a little from Column B...

Anyway...time to turn in for the night. I have a long day of driving and glass scavaging ahead of me.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    That's it. I'm not taking you for a walk on the beach!

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why the hell shouldn't you enjoy yourself at Glass beach? Enjoy the living hell out of yourself! You've earned it.
    Boska is sure lucky to have a mommy like you. The sad reality is that few people are willing to shoulder the responsibility for their non human companions. You understand (as too many do not) that our fellow creatures are beings of sensitivity and feelings. They're smart, too, by Garfield! Smater than some humans I have known. And their love is beyond price if they are well cared for.
    We have three cats and a Yellow-Naped Amazon parrot so we have a pretty good idea of their intelligence relative to humans (and believe me they could put some people to shame).
    Good luck with Boska's care. May she live a bit longer and more happily than she might otherwise.
    Jack C. Young

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    Thanks, Jack! As you'll see by my next post, Boska will live a little bit longer than she might have...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet