Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Day After

Well, while I didn't end up spending more than 50 bucks at the Saturn Dealership (and I actually utilized my time in the waiting room by finishing the latest set of revisions on CHILL), I was told that my car will need about $1500 worth of work in the near future. Her right front axel seal is leaking transmission fluid, her oil pan is oozing oil, and her exhaust...er...exhaust something or another is leaking exhaust. I've been instructed to put a piece of cardboard under the axle and keep an eye on the rate of leakage, and keep a very close watch on the oil level. Evidently Saturns will run forever if you take care of them and don't let the oil run out.

The axel gasket is the priority, so I guess I know where my tax refund is going. Very typical of my cars. They can sense when I get extra money and immediately demand tribute in the way of maintenance.

I stopped at Bev Mo on my way home and discovered they were having their 5 cent sale. Which means by one bottle of a particular wine and get a second for 5 cents. I took mild advantage of the sale and got four bottles of wine, two each of one of the sale bottles. However, I dropped one while unpacking the car when I got home. Poop. Oh well, I didn't spend much in the first place and luckily I dropped a bottle of the cheaper wine.

Now I'm sitting at home with a glass of red table wine and a piece of pizza with sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and black olives, watching JEEPERS CREEPERS II (it's on Sci Fi Channel) and content in the knowledge that I've accomplished all of my 'must do' tasks for the weekend. I've got stuff to read, boxes of books and other belongings to unpack and find places for in the house, and a clean house in which to relax.

Life could be worse.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    There's something about getting everything on your 'to do' list done that makes life's other irritations easier to deal with...at least until the next round of 'to do's' hit.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said…

    Dang, I'm glad my car is sitting at Alamo, Hertz, Avis, whatever ... and I only pay for it when I use it! ;-)~

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    Have you taken off the black armband for the lost bottle of wine yet?
    ;)

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    yes. The mourning stopped when I tried the other bottle of the same wine. Blech! Bog water indeed...

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1- It's Axel Boot. And the Axel Boot Doesn't leak transmission fluid. It gets cracked and dust and dirt get up in it and can cause problems (mainly ruin your Ball Joint and cause steering problems). But yes you can run your car for a long time without fixing it. Risk if you don't fix it or put it off is that the repair becomes more expensive.

    2- Exausts.. Exausts drip water.. harmless.. no problems with the exaust unless it's lound and making noise.

    3- Oil pan.. hmm. Oil leaks happen it's usually just a cheap gasket that needs to be replaced somewhere, could be the Valve cover gasket, or if you went to one of those quickie lube places... they can usually mess things up pretty good too.

    In any case, I'd be looking for a new mechanic, the one you're using (based on what I've read here) sounds pretty shady.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet