Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Altered States

Anyone else ever see this movie? The one with William Hurt in the sensory deprivation tank, lots of improbably erudite dialogue, the sort of things no one really says? I've never seen it before...but it's on AMC and I'm far too lazy and complacent to move even a finger to change it. I WAS watching Tremors Three; Return to Perfection (or is that Perdition?) while doing my taxes. Finished my taxes and, speaking of altered states, found that instead of owing upwards of 600 bucks as we have for the last 10 years, Brian and I are actually getting a refund. Our last time filing together and we get a refund. I'm not sure if this means anything or not, but it sure was a pleasant surprise. I checked the figures three times and it came out the same. I'm impressed with myself.

I had a conference call earlier today with the producers on CHILL and the changes for the first pages of rewrites were minimal.

Dang. Things are going well.

That in itself kind of scares me. I've been programmed to always expect that other shoe to drop, usually right on my head. I'm taking my car in tomorrow for an oil change. Will they tell me that she (yes, my car is a 'she') needs a thousand dollars worth of work? Or will I get the oil change and the tires rotated, spend less than 60 bucks? If the latter is the case, then my weekend will spread in front of me without any obligations beyond about an hour's work on CHILL. I have boxes of books waiting to be unpacked and sorted, placed in bookshelves. Other boxes of god knows what out in the garage. I could go through them at my leisure.

I plan on going for a walk on the beach, weather permitting. I'm going to tae-bo (Ultimate Abs one day, Ultimate Butt the next) and give myself a facial. I'm going to lounge with the felines and sip red wine or hot chocolate. Oh hell, probably both, although not at the same time.

I'm gonna relax. And that, all by itself, will be an altered state for me. About damn time.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:22 AM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    ALTERED STATES - you've never seen ALTERED STATES? Fun movie that gets VERY silly at the end.

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    It was pretty silly throughout. Gotta love the scene where he drinks the mushroom based drink.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Other Lisa said…

    Or where he hallucinates that his wife turns into a sand sphinx.

    But william hurt was awfully handsome back then!

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger freethoughtguy said…

    I've seen the movie and actually spent time in a sensory deprivation tank in the early '80s. It was an amazing experience ... when you can't see, hear, touch, taste, feel, etc., the only sense you have is your mind. With all of your resources devoted to thinking, you go to some very deep places!

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Abyss of Silence said…

    I don't think I could spend much time in a sensory deprivation tank unless the air felt fresh. I always imagined that the air in those things was warm and damp. Otherwise I'd be up for it.

    Programmed to wait for the other shoe to drop? My middle name is "Worst Case Scenario". Well it seems you were right what with the work on your car but it could have definitely been worse.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet