Zhadi's Den

Random essays on wine, writing, moving to San Francisco, surfing, cats (exotic and otherwise) and zombies...depending on my mood.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grumble...

One of the more annoying things about working as an admin, even one with a title as lofty as Senior Administrative Coordinator/Office manager is having a work space in an area, say, like the lobby. The place where visitors come and go, where last minute conversations take place before the 'going' part. Something about having a desk in this area encourages behavior that people would not indulge in if they were in someone's office. Y'know...like having a cell phone conversation not just right in front of my desk, but beside, almost inside my work area. Or people leaning on the edge of my work station right in front of my computer and me, having an extended conversation as if I were just another piece of office furniture.

What is it with people's manners? Is it because I'm an admin and therefore don't really count? My work not as important as theirs? YOU try doing an expense report with two people using the edge of your desk as an elbow prop while they talk not two feet away from you. It amazes me that normally polite, even considerate people can be so clueless and...well...rude. I prefer to think they don't realize how dehumanizing and demoralizing it is to feel invisible. But I swear, there are days (like today) where a punching bag in the back of the office would come in very handy...and might someday save a few lives.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would find it hard to imagine that you are invisible under any circumstances, but I know that what you say does happen.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Dana Fredsti said…

    If not invisible, just...sort of blending into the furniture...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Zhadi's Den!


powered by Bloglet